Monday, April 15, 2013

Giving Up Coffee?

I love coffee. No, really. I mean I LOVE COFFEE!!! Here's the thing. My love for coffee began as a necessity back in my high school years when I was attending a college prep school away from home with some really intense classes. (Man that was a really long run-on sentence, LOL). Anyway, my roommate introduced me to coffee and I didn't like it at first. Due to the age of our dorms, we were not allowed to have coffee makers in our rooms. So we were forced to use instant coffee in the microwave. ICK! :P

Since then, though, I have been through many phases of coffee love. First, I tried black like my mother takes it, but just couldn't get used to the bitterness. Then I tried it "a-la Daddy" which is sweet and light. My love affair began. I tend to like a hint of flavor in my coffee so I buy flavored creamers whenever I can afford them. Sometimes I even stock up when they are on sale or I have a coupon (or better yet, BOTH!). My favorite has to be the Christmas-time flavor of Peppermint Mocha!

So with all of this trying to eat healthy and clean, I have struggled with the whole coffee issue. One article you read says coffee is bad for you. Then you hear a news story on the benefits of being a coffee drinker. Who are you to believe? The fact of the matter is I live in the "coffee capital of the United States". Starbucks was invented here. And for good reason. We. Get. NO. SUN! Do you realize how difficult it is to pry open your eyes when the sun hasn't shown its face for weeks?

I tried it last year and lasted for about three weeks. The withdrawal from the caffeine wasn't as hard as I anticipated, but I just couldn't get adjusted to a morning ritual of hot tea. My brain knew the difference. Now that the sun is trying to make it's yearly appearance, it may be easier to give it up. But in all honesty, I just don't think I will. I will miss the flavor. I will miss that warm mug of blissful frothiness as I write and spend time with just me and God. It's comforting to me. So I will have to continue spending a couple of my Weight Watchers points on my creamer indulgence and find ways to cut corners elsewhere. To me, it is worth that simple cup of pleasure to wake me up each morning.

What is your guilty pleasure?

No comments:

Post a Comment

People Who Think I'm Fabulous!